List of Publications
INTERVENTION DEVELOPMENT REPORT
- Panda S, Palchoudhuri N and Gere D. Innovative art based HIV communication and stigma reduction initiative in West Bengal by scroll painters and people living with HIV/AIDS and their friends (PLWHAF). 2008. UNAIDS, SPARSHA, MA/SA and UNESCO.
- Panda S, Jana M, Das RS, Pahari S, Maruf Sk A, Das R, Varma R, Mandal A, Gere D. Art and Public Health: report on development of a unique community-based approach to reduce HIV/AIDS stigma in villages of West Bengal. 2009. National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases (NICED) / ICMR, MA/SA and SPARSHA.
- Panda S, C. Wangdi, D. Mukherjee, L. Chowdhury, S. Wangdi, S. Pahari. 2010. National Baseline Assessment of Drugs and Controlled Substance Use in Bhutan-2009. UNODC / UNAIDS / WHO / BNCA (Project supported by AusAID)
- Panda S, L. Chowdhury, T. Dendup, S. Pahari. 2009 Drug use situation and responses in schools and communities : A Rapid Assessment in Phuentsholing, Bhutan-2008. UNODC / UNAIDS / WHO / BNCA (Project supported by AusAID).
- Report titled ‘HIV Self-Test Acceptability : A Qualitative Study From Pune, India’ written by Dr Samiran Panda, Dr Amrita Rao and Dr. Sandip Patil
- Report titled ‘Preliminary Guidelines For Mapping, Size Estimation & Risk Behaviour Survey among Key Populations In Virtual Space’ written by Samiran Panda, Dr. Amrita Rao, Dr. S.M. Shahbuddin and Ms. Akshada Gopale in consultation with Dr. Shankar Talwar, Mr. Tamseel Hussain, Dr. Tarun Roy and Dr. D.C.S. Reddy
- Panda Samiran. Drug Use in the Northeastern States of India UNODC and MoSJE, Government of India 2006
INTERVENTION TOOL-KIT AND TRAINING GUIDE
- Panda Samiran. Modules on ‘rapid situation and response assessment’ in the intervention toolkit for SAARC Project of UNODC ROSA (H-13).
- Panda Samiran. Modules on ‘needle syringe exchange (safer practices)’ in the intervention toolkit for SAARC Project of UNODC ROSA (H-13).
- Panda Samiran, Thirumagal V and Singh Pushkar. Training module for service providers on ‘Developing Knowledge and Skills on HIV/STI and Drug Issues Affecting Women (published by UNODC and Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India) 2007.
Articles published in peer-reviewed journals
- Panda S, Chatterjee P, Deb A, Kanungo S, Dutta S. Preventing cholera in India: Synthesizing evidences through a systematic review for policy discussion on the use of oral cholera vaccine. Vaccine: 2019.07.029.
- Daruvala R, Ghosh M, Fratazzi F, Norzan SA, Laha A, Ahmed R, Panda S, Datta SS. Emotional Exhaustion in Cancer Clinicians: A Mixed Methods Exploration. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol. 2019 Jan-Mar; 40(1): 111-120.
- Arya BK, Bhattacharya SD, Harigovind G, Das RS, Khan T, Ganaie F, Niyogi SK, Ravikumar KL, Manoharan A, Bhattacharyya S, Panda S, Mandal S, Acharya B. Streptococcus pneumoniae Acquisition and Carriage in Vaccine Naïve Indian Children with HIV and their Parents: A Longitudinal Household Study. Indian J Pediatr. 2019:1-9.
- Das A, Detels R, Afifi AA, Javanbakht M, Sorvillo F, Panda S. Formation and psychometric evaluation of a health-related quality of life instrument for children living with HIV in India. J Health Psychol. 2018;23(4):577-87.
- Arya BK, Bhattacharya SD, Sutcliffe CG, Ganaie F, Bhaskar A, Bhattacharyya S, Niyogi SK, Moss WJ, Panda S, Ravikumar KL, Das RS, Mandal S. Nasopharyngeal Pneumococcal Colonization and Impact of a Single Dose of 13-Valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine in Indian Children With HIV and Their Unvaccinated Parents. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2018;37(5):451-8.
- Deb AK, Dutta S, Hnichho C, Vanlalpeki M, Phosa HT, Rakhu K, Fanai SL, Chakrabarti M, Panda S. A case control study investigating factors associated with high infant death in Saiha district of Mizoram, India bordering Myanmar. BMC Pediatr. 2017;17(1):23.
- Banerjee S, Bhattacharyya P, Mitra S, Kundu S, Panda S, Chatterjee IB. Anti-p-benzoquinone antibody level as a prospective biomarker to identify smokers at risk for COPD. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2017;12:1847-56.
- Panda S, Swaminathan S, Hyder KA, Christophel EM, Pendse RN, Sreenivas AN, Laksono SJ, Srivastava R, Nair GB, Aditama TY, Singhasivanon P, Thapa AB, Sarkar SK. Drug resistance in malaria, tuberculosis, and HIV in South East Asia: biology, programme, and policy considerations. 2017;358:j3545.
- Das A, Detels R, Afifi AA, Javanbakht M, Sorvillo FJ, Panda S. Health-related quality of life (HRQoL) and its correlates among community-recruited children living with HIV and uninfected children born to HIV-infected parents in West Bengal. Qual Life Res. 2017;26(8):2171-80.
- Das A, Detels R, Javanbakht M, Panda S. Living with HIV in West Bengal, India: perceptions of infected children and their caregivers. AIDS Care. 2017;29(6):800-6.
- Pahari S, Roy S, Mandal A, Kuila S, Panda S. Adherence to anti-retroviral drugs Response. Indian J Med Res. 2016;143:245-6.
- Mandal P, Mullick S, Nayak MK, Mukherjee A, Ganguly N, Niyogi P, Panda S, Chawla-Sarkar M. Complete genotyping of unusual species A rotavirus G12P and G10P isolates and evidence of frequent in vivo reassortment among the rotaviruses detected in children with diarrhea in Kolkata, India, during 2014. Arch Virol. 2016;161(10):2773-85.
- Panda S, Sadhu C, Pramanik G, Pahari S, Hossain J. Concerning public health situation of under-nutrition in children and anemia in women in Indian Sundarbans delta: a community based cross-sectional investigation. BMC Nutr. 2016;2(1):65.
- Mukherjee A, Nayak MK, Dutta S, Panda S, Satpathi BR, Chawla-Sarkar M. Genetic characterization of circulating 2015 A (H1N1) pdm09 influenza viruses from Eastern India. PLoS One. 2016;11(12):e0168464.
- Arya BK, Bhattacharya SD, Sutcliffe CG, Saha MK, Bhattacharyya S, Niyogi SK, Moss WJ, Panda S, Das RS, Mallick M, Mandal S. Immunogenicity and safety of two doses of catch-up immunization with Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccine in Indian children living with HIV. Vaccine. 2016;34(19):2267-74.
- Arya BK, Bhattacharya SD, Sutcliffe CG, Kumar Niyogi S, Bhattacharyya S, Hemram S, Moss WJ, Panda S, Saurav Das R, Mandal S, Robert D, Ray P. Impact of haemophilus influenzae type B conjugate vaccines on nasopharyngeal carriage in HIV-infected children and their parents from West Bengal, India. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2016;35(11):e339-e347.
- Panda S, Kumar MS. Injecting drug use in India and the need for policy and program change. Int J Drug Policy. 2016;37:115-6.
- Das A, Detels R, Javanbakht M, Panda S. Issues around childhood disclosure of HIV status–findings from a qualitative study in West Bengal, India. Child Care Health Dev. 2016;42(4):553-64.
- Nayak MK, Mandal P, Ganguly N, Niyogi P, Ghosh C, Panda S, Chawla-Sarkar M. Surveillance and molecular characterization of Rotavirus strains in hospitalized children with gastroenteritis in West Bengal. Int J Infect Dis. 2016;45:450.
- Thirumagal V, Velayutham K, Panda S. A study of alcohol use pattern among married men in rural Tamil Nadu, India-policy implications. International Journal of Prevention and Treatment of Substance Use Disorders. 2015;1(34):131-41.
- Pahari S, Roy S, Mandal A, Kuila S, Panda S. Adherence to anti-retroviral therapy & factors associated with it: a community based cross-sectional study from West Bengal, India. Indian J Med Res. 2015;142(3):301-10.
- Biswas A, Ta A, Das A, Panda S, Das S. Antimicrobial peptides in cervicovaginal lavage of women married to HIV sero-reactive men are not associated with resistance to HIV but modulate mucosal pro-inflammatory response. J AIDS Clin Res. 2015;6(4).
- Bhattacharjya C, Patel SK, Panda S, Deb AK. Changing HIV epidemic in North-Eastern India and its relationship with development and programmatic indicators. World J AIDS. 2015;5(3):265.
- Panda S, Das RS, Maruf SKA, Pahari S. Exploring stigma in low HIV prevalence settings in rural West Bengal, India: Identification of intervention considerations. J Mixed Meth Res. 2015;9(4):362-385.
- Sarna A, Panda S. HCV in people who inject drugs: a neglected epidemic. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15(1):4-5.
- Panda S, Roy T, Pahari S, Mehraa J, Sharma N, Singh G, Singh J, Joseph F, Singh S, Sharma NM. Alarming epidemics of human immunodeficiency virus and hepatitis C virus among injection drug users in the northwestern bordering state of Punjab, India: prevalence and correlates. Int J STD AIDS. 2014;25(8):596-606.
- Panda S, Bandyopadhaya D, Saha MK, Pahari S, Chakraborti S, Niyogi SK. Correlates of HIV Transmission from Husband to Wife among Heterosexual Married Couples in ART-era in West Bengal, India. J AIDS Clin Res. 2014;6:1.
- Panda S, Deb AK, Chawla-Sarkar M, Ramamurthy T, Ganguly S, Pradhan P, Chakraborty A, Desai S, Gupte MD, Dhere R. Factors associated with diarrhoea in young children and incidence of symptomatic rotavirus infection in rural West Bengal, India. Epidemiol Infect. 2014;142(9):1848-58.
- Koley H, Ray N, Chowdhury G, Barman S, Mitra S, Ramamurthy T, Mukhopadhyay AK, Sarkar BL, Katyal R, Das P, Panda S, Ghosh S. Outbreak of cholera caused by Vibrio cholerae O1 El Tor variant strain in Bihar, India. Jpn J Infect Dis. 2014;67(3):221-6.
- Panda S, Das A, Samanta S. Synthesizing evidences for policy translation: a public health discourse on rotavirus vaccine in India. 2014;32(Suppl 1):A162-A170.
- Mukherjee A, Mullick S, Deb AK, Panda S, Chawla-Sarkar M. First report of human rotavirus G8P  gastroenteritis in India: Evidence of ruminants‐to‐human zoonotic transmission. J Med Virol. 2013;85(3):537-45.
- Prinja S, Bahuguna P, Rudra S, Gupta I, Kaur M, Mehendale SM, Chatterjee S, Panda S, Kumar R. Cost effectiveness of targeted HIV prevention interventions for female sex workers in India. Sex Transm Infect. 2011;87(4):354-61.
- Kumar R, Mehendale SM, Panda S, Venkatesh S, Lakshmi P, Kaur M, Prinja S, Singh T, Virdi NK, Bahuguna P, Sharma AK, Singh S, Godbole SV, Risbud A, Manna B, Thirumugal V, Roy T, Sogarwal R, Pawar ND. Impact of targeted interventions on heterosexual transmission of HIV in India. BMC Public Health. 2011;11:549.
- Panda S, Pati KK, Bhattacharya MK, Koley H, Pahari S, Nair GB. Rapid situation & response assessment of diarrhoea outbreak in a coastal district following tropical cyclone AILA in India. Indian J Med Res. 2011;133(4):395-400.
- Larance B, Ambekar A, Azim T, Murthy P, Panda S, Degenhardt L, Mathers B. The availability, diversion and injection of pharmaceutical opioids in South Asia. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2011;30(3):246-54.
- Degenhardt L, Mathers B, Guarinieri M, Panda S, Phillips B, Strathdee SA, Tyndall M, Wiessing L, Wodak A, Howard J; Reference Group to the United Nations on HIV and injecting drug use. Meth/amphetamine use and associated HIV: Implications for global policy and public health. Int J Drug Policy. 2010;21(5):347-58.
- Mathers BM, Degenhardt L, Phillips B, Wiessing L, Hickman M, Strathdee SA, Wodak A, Panda S, Tyndall M, Toufik A, Mattick RP; 2007 Reference Group to the UN on HIV and Injecting Drug Use. Global epidemiology of injecting drug use and HIV among people who inject drugs: a systematic review. 2008;372(9651):1733-45.
- Panda S, Azim T, Rehman NU, Poudel G, Chaudhuri A. Reaching out to the regular female sex partners of non-injecting and injecting drug users (IDUs): a need highlighted by research findings and ways to address it demonstrated by a regional HIV intervention project from South Asia. Subst Use Misuse. 2007;42(5):895-8.
- Panda S, Kumar MS, Saravanamurthy PS, Mahalingam P, Vijaylakshmi A, Balakrishnan P, Kantesh B, Tamby PA, Jabbar S, Rangaiyan G, Flessenkaemper S, Grosskurth H, Gupte MD. Sexually transmitted infections and sexual practices in injection drug users and their regular sex partners in Chennai, India. Sex Transm Dis. 2007;34(4):250-3.
- Panda S, Sharma M. Needle syringe acquisition and HIV prevention among injecting drug users: a treatise on the “good” and “not so good” public health practices in South Asia. Subst Use Misuse. 2006;41(6-7):953-77.
- Panda S, Kumar MS, Lokabiraman S, Jayashree K, Satagopan MC, Solomon S, Rao UA, Rangaiyan G, Flessenkaemper S, Grosskurth H, Gupte MD. Risk factors for HIV infection in injection drug users and evidence for onward transmission of HIV to their sexual partners in Chennai, India. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2005;39(1):9-15.
- Panda S, Chatterjee A, Saha C, Bhattacharjee S, Bhattacharya SK, Quader ASA. Morphine and codeine in the water extract of poppy straw: a traditional substitution used by drug users in Calcutta, India. Int J Drug Policy. 2004;15(3):214-6.
- Sharma M, Panda S, Sharma U, Singh HN, Sharma C, Singh RR. Five years of needle syringe exchange in Manipur, India: programme and contextual issues. Int J Drug Policy. 2003;14(5-6):407-15.
- Panda S. HIV in IDUs: should we bother? Int J Drug Policy. 2003;1(14):83-5.
- Panda S, Saha U, Pahari S, Nathan M, Poddar S, Neogi D, Sarkar M, Pal NK, Mahalanabis D. Drug use among the urban poor in Kolkata: behaviour and environment correlates of low HIV infection. Natl Med J India. 2002;15(3):128-34.
- Panda S, Bijaya L, Sadhana Devi N, Foley E, Chatterjee A, Banerjee D, Naik TN, Saha MK, Bhattacharya SK. Interface between drug use and sex work in Manipur. Natl Med J India. 2001;14(4):2009-11.
- Mandal D, Jana S, Panda S, Bhattacharya S, Ghosh TC, Bhattacharya SK, Chakrabarti S. Distribution of HIV-1 subtypes in female sex workers of Calcutta, India. Indian J Med Res. 2000;112(11):165-72.
- Chakrabarti S, Panda S, Chatterjee A, Sarkar S, Manna B, Singh NB, Naik TN, Detels R, Bhattacharya SK. HIV-1 subtypes in injecting drug users & their non-injecting wives in Manipur, India. Indian J Med Res. 2000;111(6):189-94.
- Saha MK, Chakrabarti S, Panda S, Naik TN, Manna B, Chatterjee A, Detels R, Bhattacharya SK. Prevalence of HCV & HBV infection amongst HIV seropositive. Indian J Med Res. 2000;111(2):37-9.
- Panda S, Chatterjee A, Bhattacharya SK, Manna B, Singh PN, Sarkar S, Naik TN, Chakrabarti S, Detels R. Transmission of HIV from injecting drug users to their wives in India. Int J STD AIDS. 2000;11(7):468-73.
- Panda S, Chatterjee A, Bhattacharjee S, Ray B, Saha MK, Bhattacharya SK. HIV, hepatitis B and sexual practices in the street-recruited injecting drug users of Calcutta: risk perception versus observed risks. Int J STD AIDS. 1998;9(4):214-18.
- Panda S, Sarkar S, Bhattacharya SK, Detels R. HIV-1 in injecting-drug users and heterosexuals. 1998;352(9123):241.
- Sarkar S, Islam N, Durandin F, Siddiqui N, Panda S, Jana S, Corbitt G, Klapper P, Mandal D. Low HIV and high STD among commercial sex workers in a brothel in Bangladesh: scope for prevention of larger epidemic. Int J STD AIDS. 1998;9(1):45-7.
- Panda S, Chatterjee A, Sarkar S, Jalan KN, Maitra T, Mukherjee S, Mukherjee B, Deb BC, Abdul-Quader AS. Injection drug use in Calcutta: a potential focus for an explosive HIV epidemic. Drug Alcohol Rev. 1997;16(1):17-23.
- Sarkar K, Panda S, Das N, Sarkar S. Relationship of national highway with injecting drug abuse and HIV in rural Manipur, India. Indian J Public Health. 1997;41(2):49-51.
- Morens DM, Agarwal AK, Sarkar S, Panda S, Detels R. Epidemic zoster and AIDS. Emerg Infect Dis. 1996;2(4):361-2.
- Sarkar S, Panda S, Sarkar K, Hangzo CZ, Bijaya L, Singh NY, Das N, Agarwal A, Chatterjee A, Deb BC, et al. A cross-sectional study on factors determining unsafe injecting practices including HIV testing and counselling among injecting drug users of Manipur. Indian J Public Health. 1995;39(3):86-92.
- Singh NB, Panda S, Naik TN, Agarwal A, Singh HL, Singh YI, Deb BC. HIV-2 strikes injecting drug users (IDUs) in India. J Infect. 1995;31(1):49-50.
- Panda S, Kamei G, Pamei M, Sarkar S, Sarkar K, Singh ND, Deb BC. Clinical features of HIV infection in drug users of Manipur. Natl Med J India. 1994;7(6):267-9.
- Panda S, Sarkar S, Mandal BK, Singh TB, Singh KL, Mitra DK, Sarkar K, Tripathy SP, Deb BC. Epidemic of herpes zoster following HIV epidemic in Manipur, India. J Infect. 1994;28(2):167-73.
- Panda S, Nabachandra T, Sarkar S, Chakraborty S, Naik TN, Deb BC. Herpes zoster in an HIV-positive 14-month-old baby. Natl Med J India. 1994;7(2):63-4.
- Sarkar K, Sarkar S, Deb BC, Shah WA, Rashid M, Nagra JS, Panda S, Naik TN, Manna B. HIV makes its way in the islands of the Bay of Bengal (Andaman and Nicobar), India. J Infect. 1994;29(1):116-8.
- Sarkar S, Das N, Panda S, Naik TN, Sarkar K, Singh BC, Ralte JM, Aier SM, Tripathy SP. Rapid spread of HIV among injecting drug users in north-eastern states of India. Bull Narc. 1993;45(1):91-105.