National AIDS Research Institute, Pune, India
Aug 2015 till date
Sep 2010 to 2015
Aug 2007 to 2010
Senior research Officer
Aug 2002 to 2007
Feb.93 to July 2002
National Institute of Virology, Pune, India
Nov 1990-Jan 93
Junior Research Fellow
May 1987-Oct 1990
List of grants received
List of Publications
1. Dharmendra Singh1, Jyoti Patankar1, Shubhangi Bichare1, Manisha Ghate2 and Madhuri Thakar1*Reduced Activation of CD4+ Regulatory T Cells is Associated With Preserved HIV- Specific CD8+ T Cells in Cohort of Indian Long Term Non Progressors (LTNPs). J Hum Virol Retrovirol 2017,
2. Madhuri Thakar, Francis Angira, Kovit Pattanapanyasat, Alan H.B. Wu, Maurice O’Gorman, Hui
Zeng, Chenxue Qu, Bharati Mahajan, Kasama Sukapirom, Danying Chen, D, Yu Hao, Yan Gong, Monika De Arruda Indig, Sharon Graminske, Diana Orta, Nicole d’Empaire, Beverly Lu, Imelda Omana-Zapata, Clement Zeh. CD4 Lymphocyte Enumeration and Hemoglobin Assessment for Making Priority-Setting Decisions Regarding ART Initiation in Resource-Limited Settings: A Multisite Evaluation of the BD FACSPresto™ System. Open AIDS J. 2017 Oct 24; 11:76-90. doi:
3. Aarti Mane, MD; Mansa Angadi; Pallavi Vidhate; Shilpa Bembalkar; Ishrat Khan; Shubhangi Bichare; Manisha Ghate; Madhuri Thakar. Characterization of vaginal lactobacilli from HIV-negative and HIV- positive Indian women and their association with genital HIV-1 shedding. Journal of Medical Microbiology, 2017, 66:1471-1475.
4. Nehul S, Kulkarni A, Pawar S, Godbole S, Ghate M, Thakar M. Cross-reactive influenza- specific antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity-mediating antibodies in HIV-infected Indian individuals. Infect Dis (Lond). 2017 Aug 4:1-9. doi: 10.1080/23744235.2017.1361547.
5. Nawaj Shaikh, Vandana Saxena, Sudhanshu Pandey, Ajit Patil, and Madhuri Thakar. HECT Domain and RCC1-Like Domain-Containing Protein 5 (HERC-5) Gene Polymorphisms in HIV-1-Infected Individuals: A Study from India. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2017 Jul 24. doi:
6. Nawaj Shaikh, Akshay Gupte, Sujata Dharmshale, Supriya Pokkali, Madhuri Thakar, Vijay J.
Upadhye, Alvaro A. Ordonez, Aarti Kinikar, Nikhil Gupte, Vidya Mave, Anju Kagal, Amita Gupta, Ajit Lalvani, Ramesh Paranjape, Renu Bharadwaj, Sanjay K. Jain. Novel interferon γ assays for diagnosing tuberculosis in young children in India, Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2017 Apr 1; 21(4):412-419. doi: 10.5588/ijtld.16.0428.
7. Madhavi V, Kulkarni A, Shete A, Lee WS, Mclean MR, Kristensen AB, Ghate M, Wines BD, Hogarth PM, Parsons MS, Kelleher A, Cooper DA, Amin J, Emery S, Thakar M, Kent SJ. Effect of combination antiretroviral therapy on HIV-1-specific antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity responses in subtype B- and subtype C-infected cohorts. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017 Mar 23. doi:
8. Singh D, Ghate M, Godbole S, Kulkarni S, Thakar M.CD1d restricted Natural killer T cells are preserved in Indian long term non progressors (LTNPs).J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017 Feb 14. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000001322. [Epub ahead of print]
9. Saxena V, Bichare S, Singh D, Ghate M, Godbole S, Kulkarni S, Gangakhedkar R, Paranjape R, Thakar M. Short Communication: Low Immune Activation Is Associated with Higher Frequencies of Central Memory T Cell Subset in a Cohort of Indian Long-Term Non progressors. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2017 Feb;33(2):121-125
10. Archana Kulkarni, Swarali Kurle, Ashwini Shete, Manisha Ghate, Sheela Godbole, Vijaya Madhavi, Stephen Kent, Ramesh Paranjape, Madhuri Thakar. Indian Long Term Non Progressors show broad ADCC responses with preferential recognition of V3 region of Envelope and a region from Tat protein. Frontiers in Immunology 2017: 8(14) · January 2017, DOI: 10.3389/fimmu.2017.00005.
11. Ashwini Shete, Poonam Suryawanshi, Chetan Chavan, Archana Kulkarni, Sheela Godbole, Manisha Ghate and Madhuri Thakar. Development of IFN- secretory ELISPOT based assay for screening of ADCC responses. Journal of Immunological methods. 2017;441:49-55.
12. Varsha Kale, Archana Beri, Madhuri Thakar, Veenita Sinha Dar, Shilpa Bembalkar, Naresh Goel,
Arun Risbud and Ramesh Paranjape . Feasibility of Using Two versus Three Rapid Tests for HIV
diagnosis in India: Analysis of public health program data World Journal of AIDS 2017,7, 16-22.
13. Dhamanage A, Thakar M, Paranjape R. Human Immunodeficiency Virus-1 Impairs IFN-
Alpha Production Induced by TLR-7 Agonist in Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cells. Viral Immunol. 2017
Jan/Feb; 30 (1):28-34.
14. Adrienne F.A. Meyers, Michèle Bergeron, Madhuri Thakar ,Tao Ding , Alexandre Martel, Paul Sandstrom, Bharati Mahajan, Philip Abraham, Sandhya Kabra, Namita Singh, Trevor Peter ,T. Blake Ball. QASI: A Collaboration for Implementation of an Independent Quality Assessment Program in India. Afr J Lab Med. 2016;5(2), a442.
15. Shete A, Suryawanshi P, Godbole S, Pawar J, Paranjape R, Thakar M HIV-infected CD4+ T Cells Use T-bet-dependent Pathway for Production of IL-10 Upon Antigen Recognition. Scand J Immunol. 2016 Apr;83 (4):288-96. doi: 10.1111/sji.12422.
16. Negi N, Vajpayee M, Singh R, Sharma A, Murugavel KG, Ranga U, Thakar M, Sreenivas V, Das
BK.Cross-Reactive Potential of HIV-1 Subtype C-Infected Indian Individuals Against Multiple HIV-
1 PotentialT Cell Epitope Gag Variants. Viral Immunol. 2016 Nov 22. [Epub ahead of print]
17. Pandey SS, Cherian S, Thakar M, Paranjape RS. Short Communication: Phylogenetic and Molecular Characterization of Six Full-Length HIV-1 Genomes from India Reveals a Monophyletic Lineage of Indian Sub-Subtype A1. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2016, ay; 32(5): 489-502. doi:
10.1089/AID.2015.0207. Epub 2016 Feb 11.
18. Ghate M., Mehendale S., Meyer R., Umlauf A., Deutsch R., Kamat R., Thakar M., Risbud A., Kulkarni S., et al.. The effects of antiretroviral treatment initiation on cognition in HIV-infected individuals with advanced disease in Pune, India. J. Neurovirol. 2015, 21 (4):391- 8.
19. Ashwini Shete, Dharmesh P Singh, Bharati Mahajan, Amol Kokare, Ramesh Paranjape and Madhuri Thakar. Duplicate analysis method: a cheaper alternative to commercial IQC materials in limited resource settings for monitoring CD4 testing. AIDS Res Ther (2015) 12:25.
20. Megha Antwal, Rohan Gurjar, Shweta Chidrawar, Jyoti Pawar, Sunil Gaikwad, Narayan Panchal, Varsha Kale, Madhuri Thakar, Arun Risbud & Srikanth Tripathy Clinical profile of HIV infected patients attending a HIV referral clinic in Pune, India. Indian J Med Res 140, August 2014, pp 271-
21. Patel P, Ansari M, Bapat S, Thakar M, Gangakhedkar R, Jameel S. The microRNA miR-29a is
associated with human immunodeficiency virus latency. Retrovirology. 2014 Dec; 11: 108.
22. Ashwini Shete, Madhuri Thakar, S.M. Mehendale and R.S. Paranjape. Is prime boost strategy a promising approach in HIV vaccine development? J AIDS Clin Res 2014:5:293
23. Kulkarni AG, Paranjape RS, Thakar MR. Higher Expression of Activating Receptors on Cytotoxic NK Cells is Associated with Early Control on HIV-1C Multiplication. Front Immunol. 2014 May 16;5: 222. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2014.00222. e Collection 2014.
24. Thakar M, Patil R, Shukre S, Bichare S, Kadam P, Khopkar P, Ghate M, Paranjape R. Genital tumor growth factor-β1 levels in HIV-infected Indian women are associated with reduced levels of innate antimicrobial products and increased HIV shedding. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2014 Jul; 30 (7):648-53. doi: 10.1089/AID.2013.0030.
25. Sanjay K. Jain, Alvaro Ordonez, Aarti Kinikar, Nikhil Gupte, Madhuri Thakar, Vidya Mave, Jennifer Jubulis, Sujata Dharmshale, Shailaja Desai, Swarupa Hatolkar, Anju Kagal, Ajit Lalvani, Amita Gupta, and Renu Bharadwaj. Pediatric Tuberculosis in Young Children in India: A Prospective Study. BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 783698, 2013. doi:10.1155/2013/783698.
26. Ghate M, Tripathy S, Gangakhedkar R, Thakar M, Bhattacharya J, Choudhury I, Risbud A, Bembalkar S, Kadam D, Rewari BB, Paranjape R. Use of first line antiretroviral therapy from a free ART programme clinic in Pune, India - A preliminary report Indian J Med Res 2013;137:942-9.
27. Thakar M, Mahajan B, Joshi T, Sane S, Paranjape R.CD4 estimating reagents in dry format are compatible with conventional flow cytometer; FACSCalibur for estimation of absolute CD4 count & percentages. Indian J Med Res. 2013 Feb; 137 (2):346-55.
28. Patil Rahul, Shukre Subodh, Paranjape Ramesh and Thakar Madhuri. Heparin and EDTA anticoagulants differentially affect the plasma cytokine levels in humans. The Scandinavian Journal of Clinical & Laboratory Investigation. 2013; Early Online: 1–4
29. Sanjay Mehendale, Madhuri Thakar, Seema Sahay, Makesh Kumar, Ashwini Shete, Pattabiraman Sathyamurthi, Amita Verma, Swarali Kurle, Aparna Shrotri, Sonali Kochhar, Jill Gilmour, Rajat Goyal, Len Dally, Eddy Sayeed, Devika Zachariah, James Ackland, Sonali Kochhar, Josephine H Cox, Jean- Louis Excler, Vasanthapuram Kumaraswami, Ramesh Paranjape, Vadakkuppatu Devasenapathi Ramanathan. Safety and immunogenicity of DNA and MVA HIV-1 subtype C vaccine prime-boost regimens: A Phase I trial in HIV-uninfected Indian volunteers. PLoS One. 2013;8(2):e55831. doi:
10.1371/journal.pone.0055831. Epub 2013 Feb 13.
30. Shete, A., P. Jayawant, M. Thakar, S. Kurle, D.P. Singh, and R.S. Paranjape., Differential modulation of phenotypic composition of HIV infected and uninfected PBMCs during cryopreservation Journal of Immunoassay and Immunochemistry. J Immunoassay Immunochem. 2013;34(4):333-45.
31. Mane, A., S. Kulkarni, M. Ghate, A. Risbud, and M. Thakar, HIV-1 RNA shedding in the female genital tract is associated with reduced quantity of Lactobacilli in clinically asymptomatic HIV-positive women. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis, 2013.
32. Thakar, M., B. Mahajan, N. Shaikh, S. Bagwan, S. Sane, S. Kabra, B. Rewari, M. Shaukat, N. Singh, P.
Trevor, and R. Paranjape, Utility of the point of care CD4 analyzer, PIMA, to enumerate CD4 counts in the field settings in India. AIDS Res Ther, 2012. 9(1): p. 26.
33. Kurle, S., M. Thakar, A. Shete, and R. Paranjape, In vitro sensitization of T cells with DC- associated/delivered HIV constructs can induce a polyfunctional CTL response, memory T-cell response, and virus suppression. Viral Immunol, 2012. 25(1): p. 45-54.
34. Shete, A., M. Thakar, D.P. Singh, R. Gangakhedkar, A. Gaikwad, J. Pawar, and R. Paranjape, Short communication: HIV antigen-specific reactivation of HIV infection from cellular reservoirs: implications in the settings of therapeutic vaccinations. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses, 2012. 28(8): p.
35. Kulkarni, A., R. Paranjape, and M. Thakar, Expansion of defective NK cells in early HIV type 1C
infection: a consequence of reduced CD161 expression. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses, 2012. 28(1): p.
36. Ghate, M., S. Deshpande, S. Tripathy, S. Godbole, M. Nene, M. Thakar, A. Risbud, R. Bollinger, and S.
Mehendale, Mortality in HIV infected individuals in Pune, India. Indian J Med Res, 2011 133: p. 414-
37. Thakar, M.R., P.R. Abraham, S. Arora, P. Balakrishnan, B. Bandyopadhyay, A.A. Joshi, K.R. Devi, R.
Vasanthapuram, M. Vajpayee, A. Desai, J. Mohanakrishnan, K. Narain, K. Ray, S.S. Patil, R. Singh, A. Singla, and R.S. Paranjape, Establishment of reference CD4+ T cell values for adult Indian population. AIDS Res Ther, 2011. 8: p. 35.
38. Shete, A.V., M.R. Thakar, S.P. Tripathy, C. Raut, S. Chakrabarti, and R.S. Paranjape, T-cell Epitopes Identified by BALB/c Mice Immunized with Vaccinia Expressing HIV-1 Gag lie within immunodominant Regions Recognized by HIV-infected Indian Patients. J Glob Infect Dis, 2011. 3(3): p. 246-53.
39. Ringe, R., D. Sharma, S. Zolla-Pazner, S. Phogat, A. Risbud, M. Thakar, R. Paranjape, and J.
Bhattacharya, A single amino acid substitution in the C4 region in gp120 confers enhanced neutralization of HIV-1 by modulating CD4 binding sites and V3 loop. Virology, 2011. 418(2): p. 123-
40. Gupta, A., R. Bhosale, A. Kinikar, N. Gupte, R. Bharadwaj, A. Kagal, S. Joshi, M. Khandekar, A.
Karmarkar, V. Kulkarni, J. Sastry, V. Mave, N. Suryavanshi, M. Thakar, S. Kulkarni, S. Tripathy, P.
Sambarey, S. Patil, R. Paranjape, R.C. Bollinger, and A. Jamkar, Maternal tuberculosis: a risk factor for mother-to-child transmission of human immunodeficiency virus. J Infect Dis, 2011. 203(3): p.
41. Cohen, M.S., Y.Q. Chen, M. McCauley, T. Gamble, M.C. Hosseinipour, N. Kumarasamy, J.G. Hakim, J.
Kumwenda, B. Grinsztejn, J.H. Pilotto, S.V. Godbole, S. Mehendale, S. Chariyalertsak, B.R. Santos, K.H. Mayer, I.F. Hoffman, S.H. Eshleman, E. Piwowar-Manning, L. Wang, J. Makhema, L.A. Mills, G. de Bruyn, I. Sanne, J. Eron, J. Gallant, D. Havlir, S. Swindells, H. Ribaudo, V. Elharrar, D. Burns, T.E. Taha, K. Nielsen-Saines, D. Celentano, M. Essex, and T.R. Fleming, Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med, 2011. 365(6): p. 493-505. (in the coinvestigator’s list)
42. Tripathy, S., A. Anand, V. Inamdar, M.M. Manoj, K.M. Khillare, A.S. Datye, R. Iyer, D.M. Kanoj, M.
Thakar, V. Kale, M. Pereira, and A.R. Risbud, Clinical response of newly diagnosed HIV seropositive
& seronegative pulmonary tuberculosis patients with the RNTCP Short Course regimen in Pune, India. Indian J Med Res, 2011. 133: p. 521-8.
43. Shete, A., M. Thakar, P.R. Abraham, and R. Paranjape, A review on peripheral blood CD4+ T
lymphocyte counts in healthy adult Indians. Indian J Med Res, 2010. 132: p. 667-75.
44. Ringe, R., M. Thakar, and J. Bhattacharya, Variations in autologous neutralization and CD4 dependence of b12 resistant HIV-1 clade C env clones obtained at different time points from antiretroviral naive Indian patients with recent infection. Retrovirology, 2010. 7: p. 76.
45. Mehendale, S., S. Sahay, M. Thakar, S. Sahasrabuddhe, M. Kakade, A. Shete, A. Shrotri, A. Spentzou, T. Tarragona, G. Stevens, S. Kochhar, J.L. Excler, P. Fast, and R. Paranjape, Safety & immunogenicity of tgAAC09, a recombinant adeno-associated virus type 2 HIV-1 subtype C vaccine in India. Indian J Med Res, 2010. 132: p. 168-75.
46. Meera, S., T. Madhuri, G. Manisha, and P. Ramesh, Irreversible loss of pDCs by apoptosis during early HIV infection may be a critical determinant of immune dysfunction. Viral Immunol, 2010.
23(3): p. 241-9.
47. Moorthy, A., A. Gupta, R. Bhosale, S. Tripathy, J. Sastry, S. Kulkarni, M. Thakar, R. Bharadwaj, A.
Kagal, A.V. Bhore, S. Patil, V. Kulkarni, V. Venkataramani, U. Balasubramaniam, N. Suryavanshi, C.
Ziemniak, N. Gupte, R. Bollinger, and D. Persaud, Nevirapine resistance and breast-milk HIV transmission: effects of single and extended-dose nevirapine prophylaxis in subtype C HIV-infected infants. PLoS One, 2009. 4(1): p. e4096.
48. Boaz, M.J., P. Hayes, T. Tarragona, L. Seamons, A. Cooper, J. Birungi, P. Kitandwe, A. Semaganda, P.
Kaleebu, G. Stevens, O. Anzala, B. Farah, S. Ogola, J. Indangasi, P. Mhlanga, M. Van Eeden, M. Thakar, A. Pujari, S. Mishra, N. Goonetilleke, S. Moore, A. Mahmoud, P. Sathyamoorthy, J. Mahalingam, P.R. Narayanan, V.D. Ramanathan, J.H. Cox, L. Dally, D.K. Gill, and J. Gilmour, Concordant proficiency in measurement of T-cell immunity in human immunodeficiency virus vaccine clinical trials by peripheral blood mononuclear cell and enzyme-linked immunospot assays in laboratories from three continents. Clin Vaccine Immunol, 2009. 16(2): p. 147-55.
49. Ghate, M., S. Deshpande, S. Tripathy, M. Nene, P. Gedam, S. Godbole, M. Thakar, A. Risbud, R.
Bollinger, and S. Mehendale, Incidence of common opportunistic infections in HIV-infected individuals in Pune, India: analysis by stages of immunosuppression represented by CD4 counts. Int J Infect Dis, 2009. 13(1): p. e1-8.
50. Kulkarni, S.V., R. Kairon, S.S. Sane, P.S. Padmawar, V.A. Kale, M.R. Thakar, S.M. Mehendale, and A.R.
Risbud, Opportunistic parasitic infections in HIV/AIDS patients presenting with diarrhoea by the level of immunesuppression. Indian J Med Res, 2009. 130(1): p. 63-6.
51. Lakhashe, S., M. Thakar, S. Godbole, S. Tripathy, and R. Paranjape, HIV infection in India:
epidemiology, molecular epidemiology and pathogenesis. J Biosci, 2008. 33(4): p. 515-25.
52. Joshi, S.N., S. Das, M. Thakar, V. Sahasrabuddhe, B.K. Kumar, M. Callahan, and C. Mauck,
Colposcopically observed vascular changes in the cervix in relation to the hormonal levels and menstrual cycle. J Low Genit Tract Dis, 2008. 12(4): p. 293-9
53. Mehendale, S., J. van Lunzen, N. Clumeck, J. Rockstroh, E. Vets, P.R. Johnson, P. Anklesaria, B. Barin, M. Boaz, S. Kochhar, J. Lehrman, C. Schmidt, M. Peeters, C. Schwarze-Zander, K. Kabamba, T. Glaunsinger, S. Sahay, M. Thakar, R. Paranjape, J. Gilmour, J.L. Excler, P. Fast, and A.E. Heald, A phase 1 study to evaluate the safety and immunogenicity of a recombinant HIV type 1 subtype C adeno-associated virus vaccine. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses, 2008. 24(6): p. 873-80.
54. Lakhashe, S.K., M.R. Thakar, K.E. Bharucha, and R.S. Paranjape, Quantitation of HLA proteins incorporated by human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and assessment of neutralizing activity of anti-HLA antibodies. J Virol, 2008. 82(1): p. 428-34.
55. Gupta, A., N. Gupte, R. Bhosale, A. Kakrani, V. Kulkarni, U. Nayak, M. Thakar, J. Sastry, and R.C.
Bollinger, Low sensitivity of total lymphocyte count as a surrogate marker to identify antepartum
and postpartum Indian women who require antiretroviral therapy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr,
2007. 46(3): p. 338-42.
56. Lakhashe, S.K., S.S. Kulkarni, M.R. Thakar, M.V. Ghate, and R.S. Paranjape, Extensive cross-reactive neutralizing antibody response in Indian patients with limited genetic diversity of HIV-1. Virology,
2007. 359(2): p. 295-301.
57. Thakar, M.R., B.K. Kumar, B.A. Mahajan, S.M. Mehendale, and R.S. Paranjape, Comparison of
capillary based microflurometric assay for CD4+ T cell count estimation with dual platform Flow cytometry. AIDS Res Ther, 2006. 3: p. 26.
58. Ghate, M.V., S.P. Tripathy, B.K. Kumar, S.V. Godbole, A. Chittake, P. Nyayanirgune, R.R.
Gangakhedkar, A.D. Divekar, M.R. Thakar, A.R. Risbud, R.C. Bollinger, and S.M. Mehendale, Rate of hospitalization and inpatient care costs for HIV-1-infected patients in Pune, India. Natl Med J India,
2006. 19(1): p. 10-4.
59. Mehendale, S.M., M.V. Ghate, B. Kishore Kumar, S. Sahay, T.R. Gamble, S.V. Godbole, M.R. Thakar, S.S. Kulkarni, A. Gupta, R.R. Gangakhedkar, A.D. Divekar, A.R. Risbud, R.S. Paranjape, and R.C. Bollinger, Low HIV-1 incidence among married serodiscordant couples in Pune, India. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, 2006. 41(3): p. 371-3.
60. Thakar, M.R., L.S. Bhonge, S.K. Lakhashe, U. Shankarkumar, S.S. Sane, S.S. Kulkarni, B.A. Mahajan, and R.S. Paranjape, Cytolytic T lymphocytes (CTLs) from HIV-1 subtype C-infected Indian patients recognize CTL epitopes from a conserved immunodominant region of HIV-1 Gag and Nef. J Infect Dis, 2005. 192(5): p. 749-59.
61. Joshi, S.N., V. Gopalkrishna, B.K. Kumar, S. Dutta, P. Nyaynirgune, M. Thakar, S. Tripathy, S.
Mehendale, and R. Paranjape, Cervical squamous intra-epithelial changes and human papillomavirus infection in women infected with human immunodeficiency virus in Pune, India. J Med Virol, 2005. 76(4): p. 470-5.
62. Bal, A.M., S.K. Lakhashe, M.R. Thakar, S.P. Tripathy, and R.S. Paranjape, Dysregulation of proinflammatory and regulatory cytokines in HIV infected persons with active tuberculosis. Cytokine, 2005. 30(5): p. 275-81.
63. Pattanapanyasat, K. and M.R. Thakar, CD4+ T cell count as a tool to monitor HIV progression & anti- retroviral therapy. Indian J Med Res, 2005. 121(4): p. 539-49.
64. Eshleman, S.H., S.E. Hudelson, A. Gupta, R. Bollinger, A.D. Divekar, R.R. Gangakhedkar, S.S. Kulkarni, M.R. Thakar, R.S. Paranjape, and S. Tripathy, Limited evolution in the HIV type 1 pol region among acute seroconverters in Pune, India. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses, 2005. 21(1): p. 93-7.
65. Paranjape, R., S.K. Lakhashe, S.P.Tripathy, and M.R.Thakar., Immunopathogenesis of HIV-TB coinfection with special reference to cytokine regulation. HIV and Tuberculosis: co-infection. Round Table Conference Series, Ranbaxy Scientific Foundation. Round Table Conference Series, Ranbaxy Scientific Foundation, 2005. No 15: p. 39-48.
66. Shankarkumar, U., M. Thakar, S. Mehendale, R.S. Praranjape, and D. Mohanty, Association of HLA B*3520, B*1801, and Cw*1507 with HIV-1 infection Maharashtra, India. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, 2003. 34(1): p. 113-4.
67. Manocha, M., K.T. Chitralekha, M. Thakar, D. Shashikiran, R.S. Paranjape, and D.N. Rao, Comparing modified and plain peptide linked enzyme immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for detection of human immunodeficiency virus type-1 (HIV-1) and type-2 (HIV-2) antibodies. Immunol Lett, 2003. 85(3): p.
68. Mehendale, S.M., R.C. Bollinger, S.S. Kulkarni, R.Y. Stallings, R.S. Brookmeyer, S.V. Kulkarni, A.D.
Divekar, R.R. Gangakhedkar, S.N. Joshi, A.R. Risbud, M.A. Thakar, B.A. Mahajan, V.A. Kale, M.V. Ghate, D.A. Gadkari, T.C. Quinn, and R.S. Paranjape, Rapid disease progression in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected seroconverters in India. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses, 2002.
18(16): p. 1175-9.
69. Thakar, M.R., D. Patke, S.K. Lakhashe, L. Bhonge, S.V. Kulkarni, S.P. Tripathy, N. Gupte, R.
Brookmeyer, T.C. Quinn, R.S. Paranjape, and R.C. Bollinger, Consistent subtype-specific anti-HIV type 1 T lymphocyte responses in Indian subjects recently infected with HIV type 1. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses, 2002. 18(18): p. 1389-93.
70. Ghate, M.V., A.D. Divekar, A.R. Risbud, M.R. Thakar, R.G. Brahme, and S.M. Mehendale, Changing trends in clinical presentations in referred human immunodeficiency virus infected persons in Pune, India. J Assoc Physicians India, 2002. 50(5): p. 671-3.
71. Thakar, M., M. Ghate, and R. Paranjape, Collection of Blood on Filter Paper; Stability and Validation
Study for HIV Serology. Indian J. of Community Medicine, 2000. XXV: p. 184-187.
72. Kunte, A., V. Misra, R. Paranjape, N. Mansukhani, V. Padbidri, S. Gonjari, V. Kakrani, M. Thakar, and S. Mehendale, HIV seroprevalence & awareness about AIDS among pregnant women in rural areas of Pune district, Maharashtra, India. Indian J Med Res, 1999. 110: p. 115-22.
73. Nandi, J., K. Banerjee, M. Thakar, V. Bhavalkar, and J. Rodrigues, Human immunodeficiency virus-1 infection in spouses of seropositive individuals. Natl Med J India, 1993. 6(4): p. 156-9.
74. Kulkarni, S., M. Thakar, J. Rodrigues, and K. Banerjee, HIV-2 antibodies in serum samples from
Maharashtra state. Indian J Med Res, 1992. 95: p. 213-5.
75. Thakar, M., J. Rodrigues, N. Athalye, and K. Banerjee, Serum beta 2 microglobulin levels in HIV
seropositive persons. Indian J Med Res, 1992. 95: p. 168-70.
76. Ranadive, S.N., M.R. Thakar, S.S. Kulkarni, K. Sukumaran, N.T. Gokhale, J.J. Rodrigues, and K.
Banerjee, Prevalence of HIV-1 antibodies in patients attending tuberculosis clinics in Pune. J Assoc
Physicians India, 1991. 39(5): p. 427.
77. Thakar, M., J. Rodrigues, S. Randive, S. Kulkarni, and K. Banerjee, Circulating immune complexes in healthy, HIV-antibody positive subjects. Indian J Med Res, 1991. 93: p. 57-61.
78. Banerjee, K., J. Rodrigues, Z. Israel, S. Kulkarni, and M. Thakar, Outbreak of HIV seropositivity among commercial plasma donors in Pune, India. Lancet, 1989. 2(8655): p. 166.